Last Updated on April 7, 2021 by Mary Pressler
5 Quick Tips for Picking The Best Electric Company in Texas
When shopping for an electric provider, you want to find the cheapest prices from the most reputable company. This gets tricky when searching the internet for a cheap energy rate. Competition between Texas electric companies is at an all time high with over 125 energy provider choices. It’s difficult to know what electric companies is good and which ones to avoid.
1. Consider Your Energy Needs and Budget
Texas Retail Energy Providers (REPs), offer a variety of electricity plans ranging from one month to three year fixed rate contracts. Before you shop for electric, determine what you need from your provider by asking yourself a few questions:
- Do you prefer to receive a monthly bill or would you like to pay as you go? Prepaid lights are a great alternative to a long term contract and no credit is needed.
- What size home do you have? Some 12 and 24 month plans have discounted rates for homes that use a larger amount of kWh per month.
Some people want to try an electric company before committing to a long term contract. In this instance, it’s best to choose a month to month electricity plan. This allows you to lock in a low rate for one month at a time without having to sign a contract.
2. Use Caution When Choosing a Plan with Freebies
You know the saying, “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”. Texas has one of the most competitive energy industries in the United States and the internet has become the wild west of electricity promos.
Texas electric companies want your business and they have rolled out the red carpet for new customers with offers such as free power nights and weekends and complimentary Google or Amazon smart home devices. However, most of these plans are gimmicks and can end up hitting you hard in the wallet.
Obviously, electricity is not free, especially in Texas. Free energy plans are simply a marketing tactic. However, if most of your energy usage occurs at night, you might benefit from a free electricity plan. Just be sure to read the fine print, the EFL.
3. Check the Fine Print Before You Switch
Always read over the Electricity Facts Label (EFL), or the fine print. The Texas PUC requires every provider to document all plan details in an EFL and make it available on their websites. Sneaky energy companies advertise kWh rates that do not include additional fees including the utility delivery charges that everyone has to pay. Unfortunately, most consumers don’t realize they’ve been deceived until they are billed.
On the EFL you will find the actual electricity rate and other important energy plan information:
- Transmission and Delivery Charges
- Type of energy rate, Variable or Fixed
- Monthly service fees
- Renewable content percentage
- Early termination or cancellation fees
- Contract terms
4. Perform a Quick Search on the Energy Provider You’re Considering.
Many energy companies in Texas claim to be the best, but there are resources available to consumers that want to research Texas light companies.
Texas PUC website
The Texas Public Utilities Commission publishes a customer complaint report twice a year. There you can see how many times customers filed a formal complaint against the light company and the reasons why, including:
- Slamming – when someone switches your REP without your consent
- Cramming- when you have unauthorized charges on your electric bill
- Billing issues
- Quality of service
Better Business Bureau of Texas
Even if the electric company is not registered, or accredited with the BBB, people can still file complaints. In our opinion, this makes the Better Business Bureau the most reliable source for honest, unbiased reviews of Texas energy providers.
Be wary of review websites. Texas electricity review websites are owned by energy companies and brokers who divert their web traffic to their products. Even Google reviews are bought these days.
5. Use Quick Electricity to Shop for Home Energy – No Club or Membership Fees Here
There are several electricity shopping sites that charge a monthly fee to find you the “lowest electric rate” for your home. Why pay a membership fee when you can put that money towards electricity?
Quick Electricity is a free energy finder and our buying process is simple.
- View and compare our residential energy plans
- Click on offer to view current rates in your area
- Register for your chosen energy plan
- Revisit Quick Electricity the next time you need an energy company
- Tell your neighbors!
Need assistance? Contact Quick Electricity at (877) 509-8946 or view Quick Electricity’s Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.